Thursday 6 June 2013

[repurposed]: whiteboard to chalkboard


So when I was maybe 12 or so, I got a whiteboard for my room.  It was wonderful, and I enjoyed it, but its life was nearly over.  It had a few scratches, and wouldn't quite come clean anymore, and I decided that maybe the time had come to let it go.  And then I remembered chalkboard paint.

Chalkboard paint is basically my new best friend.  I just love it so much.

And so it came to be that I painted my whiteboard with chalkboard paint, and have fallen in love with it all over again.


Materials:
-old whiteboard
-sandpaper (potentially optional)
-paintbrush
-chalkboard paint

Instructions:
1)  First I decided to sand down my whiteboard since the metal was quite slippery, and I was a bit concerned that the chalkboard paint might not adhere very well.  You could maybe get away without this step, but it's a super quick thing to do if you have sandpaper lying around!
2)  Once I finished sanding it, I wiped it down with a slightly damp paper towel to get rid of all the dust.
3)  Finally, I painted a coat of chalkboard paint onto the whiteboard, and let it dry.
4)  After it was completely dry, I decided to do a second coat to make sure all of the scratches and any spots I missed were completely covered.
5)  Let it dry overnight before using chalk on it!

I also found that chalkboard paint tends to look quite streaky as your painting, but once it's dry they disappeared!


I am so excited to use this as a backdrop for future blog posts, a message board, and as a practice board for hand lettering!  I also loved that I didn't spend a dime on this diy, since we had all the materials lying around the house (well...I did trek out to my dad's workshop for the sandpaper!).  I'll definitely attempting to repurpose more things in the future.  It's so rewarding to make something new out of something old!


p.s.   kelsey 



2 comments:

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...