Thursday 2 August 2012

diy: glass bottle necklaces


I've been obsessed with making my own glass bottle necklaces for MONTHS ever since I saw one in a sweet local shop near my apartment in Vancouver.  The price was a little too steep for me, so I had to walk away, but it sparked an idea that I should make my own!


These were ridiculously easy, and so much fun to make!
Supplies:
-small glass bottles/vials
-eye hooks
-necklace chain
-jump rings (optional)

*assorted things to put inside: glitter, beads, feathers, tiny messages, etc.


I got these little bottles from Michaels....and they came in a pack of 9 assorted shapes and sizes.  I know that you can also get these pretty cheap off of ebay as well!



First you'll want to screw an eye hook into the middle of the cork stopper.

Then, fill up your bottle with whatever your heart desires.  I chose glitter, sand, a feather, and a message in a bottle.

Finally, add a dab of glue (E-6000 craft glue works great) on your cork, and twist gently to seal your bottle shut.  This way your necklace won't come apart!


I have a secret love for glitter.  It just makes me irrationally happy!  The only problem is that it gets absolutely everywhere, and will keep popping up on your face/hands/hair for days after you use it.  But the little girl in me just doesn't care....and I love having an excuse to use it!


For the message in a bottle, I first wrote a short note on a skinny piece of paper.....


Then, I rolled it up, glued it shut, and drew a tiny "seal" on it to finish it off!


Then I used a jump ring to attach the bottle to the necklace chain.  Now this step is optional, as long as your chain will fit through the eye hook.  However, the nice thing about a jump ring is that it ensures that your bottle won't slide around/off of the chain as it keeps it exactly in the middle of the chain at all times!


I love the whimsical look that the feather adds, and I have also seen dandelion seeds used in similar diys!


I hope you've enjoyed this simple diy.  Let me know if you decide to give it a shot!

p.s. kelsey ♥

13 comments:

  1. these are adorable!! wicked diy, kels =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been looking for a DIY tutorial for this forever! im so glad you found the bottles at michaels :) now i can make them too. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! That makes me so happy :)
      And here's a link to the exact bottles I used...I hope you find them!

      http://www.michaels.com/Corked-Vials/sb2600,default,pd.html

      Delete
  3. hobby lobby had those vials 8 for 1.99

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally just signed up on Michaels and put a link to this site on my review. I MUST get these and fill them with Lord knows what!!! LOL YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    I'm going to make some of these for my sisters and girlfriends as Christmas presents. What size do you think is best? Is a 40mm bottle too big? I found some bottles on sale on Amazon (24 for $12) and I just want to make sure that I'm getting a good size. Thanks, Kelsey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that's too big at all! As long as you put them on a long chain, I think that would look beautiful :)

      Delete
  6. I'm gonna use this to make a potc necklace! IM GONNA HAVE A JAR OF dIRT! I'll add a little clay heart too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. can the other person open and see the message in the bottle after gluing it up?

    ReplyDelete
  8. can the gifted person open and read the message in the bottle after gluing up the cork? or is there any other alternative?

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...