Strawberry crepes are absolutely one of my favorite things about Summer. Every year, when the first local strawberries are ripe, my mom goes out and buys a huge flat of them....and then invites my grandparents over for strawberry crepes!
I like to consider myself as a pretty good crepe-maker....however, my grandma makes the BEST crepes. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is...but hers just taste better!
My favorite way to eat crepes is by filling them with fresh strawberries.....but there are countless different combos you can try! Sometimes I'll do a plain old cinnamon and sugar version.....and I know that one of Jordyn's favorites is nutella and banana!
1 1/2 cups of Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 3/4 cups of Milk
*Your choice of filling! (berries, bananas, peanut butter, chocolate, nutella, cooked apples + ice cream, etc.)
1) In a medium bowl, mix together flour and salt.
2) Whisk eggs in a separate bowl, and add milk.
3) Add egg and milk mixture to the flour mixture, and whisk until smooth. (note: *batter will be VERY runny)
4) Heat a medium to large frying pan (depending on the size of crepe desired) on medium high [on our stove we set it at 8], and grease with butter/baking spray.
5) Use a ladle to scoop your batter into the middle of the pan, and then rotate the pan quickly to spread out your batter very thinly.
*this will take a bit of trial and error to figure out the thickness of crepe desired, as well as figuring out how to rotate the pan*
6) Watch your crepe carefully...they cook VERY quickly! And flip over once you notice bubbles forming, and most of the batter is not gooey anymore. (I often peek under the crepe to see how brown it's getting to know when to flip!)
7) Once both sides are cooked, repeat steps 5 and 6 until you're out of batter!
1) Ladling the batter into the middle of the pan.
2) Quickly rotating the pan to spread out the batter.
3) First side cooked and ready to be flipped.
4) Done and ready to be eaten!
This is an awful photo....but I still kind of like it! I LOVE flipping crepes with the flick of my wrist (rather than using a flipper), and no one was around to help me....so I attempted to capture the action myself!
The essentials. Crepe. Sugar. Strawberries.
And now for the assembly.
A fun fact: this recipe comes from my grade 7 cooking class, and is officially called "Kelsey's Krapes".
Maybe for Christmas this year I'll ask for a REAL crepe pan....
What's your favorite Summer treat?
ps: kelsey ♥