Tuesday 6 November 2012

tasty tuesday: mocha cake (and cupcakes!)


Now I discovered this recipe last year when I was searching for the perfect mocha cake recipe for a series I was doing called "Mug Shots".  My dear friend Eryn and I had adapted different drinks into a cupcake equivalent, and it was so much fun!  The first time I made this cake I paired it with a peppermint frosting to emulate the peppermint mocha served by Starbucks!

I was skeptical about trying any other chocolate/mocha cake recipes since I was certain that I had already found the best (I made them HERE).  However, this cake definitely holds its own....and brings its own uniqueness to the table.  It's fluffy, moist, and chocolatey....and the coffee in it complements everything brilliantly.


This recipe works best when you use good coffee rather than instant.  Jordyn loves to use espresso to really bring out the flavour!


Mocha Cake
from: the Food Network

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/3 cup of strongly brewed coffee or espresso
3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
3/4 cup hot water


Directions:
1) In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
2) Add in eggs, vanilla, coffee and oil, and mix until batter is smooth.
3) Slowly add in hot water, until well mixed.
4) Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  (For cakes, bake for 25-30 minutes.)  Or until a toothpick inserted comes out cleanly.


You'll notice that this cake is extremely dark...almost black!


We iced the cupcakes with an incredible caramel butter cream (click HERE for our basic butter cream recipe!).   The caramel flavour went so well with the mocha....but let's be real here, just about any flavour goes well with mocha.


As you can clearly see...not all of the cupcakes lasted through their photo shoot. hehe.


Jordyn volunteered to bring the cake for a birthday party for two of her friends (they're twins!), and used this recipe to make two different layer cakes.  I helped her put them together....and then made some mini bunting to help finish them off (psst...stay tuned for this week's diy where I show you how I did it!).

p.s. ♥ kelsey

6 comments:

  1. This might be a dumb question...but the 1/3 cup of coffee...is that a REAL cup of coffee, or just the grounds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's "real" coffee...not the grounds! I'll clarify that within the recipe :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! Looks amazing and fairly easy to veganize. Will have to try those this upcoming holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! let us know if you try it :) this recipe is wonderful when paired with a peppermint icing...which is perfect for Christmas!

      Delete
  3. agh this looks so delicious! I drink mochas but I never seem to have a taste for mocha-flavored things...these paired with a caramel buttercream sounds divine though!
    -Z
    sometimesztakespictures.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...