Tuesday 8 January 2013

tasty tuesday: rainbow squares


When it is time to do Christmas baking, I always look forward to making (and eating) Rainbow Squares!  They are deliciously almond-y and topped off with a layer of chocolate, the perfect finish to any treat.

I love pulling out some of our old recipes when we are getting ready to make Christmas baking.  They are so full of character.  And they feel surprisingly sturdy for how worn (I like to say loved) they are.


This year my mom and I had just started making these, when she got an urgent phone call, and had to leave the house.  I was making these on my own for the very first time.  I was a bit nervous, but I have helped her make them every year for as long as I can remember.


It may seem a bit complicated, but once broken down into steps, it is really not that bad. 

 It is always important to get even amounts of each layer, so even though it is tedious, I always measure the dough.


Make sure to spread the dough evenly in the pan, it will be a bit difficult, and very thin, but stick with it.    I was a bit frustrated at first, but everything worked out in the end (one of the layers was a little bit lumpy, but it wasn't a big deal).


I always like "trimming" the squares, this is the time to taste test your creation!  The crunchy edge pieces must go! (...straight into my tummy!)



Rainbow Squares
by Mary Ann Lee

Ingredients:
1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs (separated)
2 cups flour
8 drops red food colouring
8 drops of green food colouring
1/4 cup raspberry jam
1/4 cup apricot jam
1 cup of chocolate (I use melting wafers)

Directions:
1) Grease three matching 9 x 13 pans, line with parchment, and then grease the parchment.  (I only had two pans that were the same size, so I just washed one when I was done, and used it after!)
2) Put almond paste into a large bowl, and beat it in order to break it up.  I warmed mine up in the microwave so it was soft, so it was very easy to mix up.
3) Add butter, sugar, and egg yolk, to the almond paste.  Cream until light and fluffy. 
4) Mix in flour.
5) In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
6) Fold egg whites into the dough, mix until thoroughly blended.
7) Divide dough into three portions, about 1 1/3 cups each.
8) Colour one portion red, one portion green, and leave one portion uncoloured.
9) Spread each portion as evenly as possible into the prepared 9 x 13 pan (it will be a bit difficult, and it will be extremely thin.)
10) Bake each layer at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
11) Invert onto a cooling sheet.  Let cool completely.
12) Place green layer on a large piece of plastic wrap.  Spread evenly with raspberry jam.
13) Top with uncoloured layer, and spread with apricot jam.
14) Top with pink layer.
15) Bring plastic wrap over the top, make sure everything is covered.  Use additional plastic wrap if needed.
16) Slide onto a cookie sheet, or something flat that it can be transfered on.
17) Refrigerate overnight.
18) After refrigeration, melt the chocolate, and evenly spread on the top layer.
19) Allow chocolate to harden.
20) Take a sharp knife and trim the edges.  Then cut into 1/2 inch strips across the width, and then cut each strip into 4 or 5 pieces.


I hope you are inspired to make these delectable treats!!  Even if it isn't for Christmas.
You could always switch up the colours to suit the occasion!  Make them match your favourite sports team, or look like a national flag.  Just have fun, and enjoy eating them!

p.s. ♥ jordyn

2 comments:

  1. these are so cute! i have honestly never seen them before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome cake! I would be so nervous making these on my own.

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...